Daily Bible Readings
Week 55: October 16-21, 2017
❏ Monday Psalms 126-134
❏ Tuesday Psalms 135-137
❏ Wednesday Psalms 138-143
❏ Thursday Psalms 144-150
❏ Friday John 1:1-2:25
❏ Saturday John 3:1-36
Note that the readings are assigned from Monday to Saturday, leaving Sunday as the day to catch up, and also indicating that we will be corporately hearing the Word at church. The following questions are optional, for your personal growth.
Study Questions: Week 55
1. The Psalms are, among other things, prayers addressed to God, as indeed all hymns are. As you read through the Psalms for this week, consider in which events and circumstances in life these might become your prayers; and consider how our Lord Jesus used these as prayers as part of His earthly ministry.
2. Psalms 126-134 are the remainder of the psalms of ascent. What sort of themes are found in these psalms?
3. What conquest does Psalm 135 recall?
4. The word for “steadfast love” or “lovingkindness” in Psalm 136 is the Hebrew word chesed. It speaks of love, of kindness, but most of all, of covenant-faithfulness. How reassuring is it to know that God’s faithfulness to you, based on the covenant of Christ’s blood, endures forever?
5. What does Psalm 139 teach about God’s knowledge of human life?
6. Who wrote Psalms 138-145?
7. What is the theme of the final five psalms? Why is this a fitting way to close out the Psalter?
8. The Gospel of John takes a completely different tack in its approach to the life of Jesus from the other Gospels. Where Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell a lot of shorter stories, John’s Gospel is primarily built on longer stories, and records much more of Jesus’ dialogue and teaching. As we work through John’s Gospel over the next couple of weeks, you will no doubt notice many familiar stories and verses!
9. What does John 1:1-18 assert about who Jesus is and what He came to do? How does the witness of John the Baptist in John 1:29 reinforce this?
10. Whose disciples were Andrew and John before they became Jesus’ disciples?
11. What was Jesus’ first miracle?
12. Why does Jesus drive the moneychangers and animal sellers out of the temple?
13. How does Jesus foreshadow His death on the cross in His discussion with Nicodemus in John 3?
14. What witness does John the Baptist give about Jesus to his own disciples who were jealous of Jesus?